Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Recipe: Sinus Busting Chili

Every year when the weather is cooling off for fall, we're blessed with a few warm days between bitter, bone-chilling cold fronts. And when these cold fronts come in, I become a sniffling, sneezing, droopy-faced mess. To make matters worse, I have a really hard time / aversion to taking medicine.

The Green Pharmacy :: James A Duke, Ph.D.
So I pulled out the Green Pharmacy book Martin bought me a few month's ago and looked up Sinusitis. Of course the normal spicy foods remedy wasn't new to me, but the peppermint oil rub (three drops of peppermint essential oils with 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil) was definitely one I hadn't heard. Martin and I had already made this chili the night before, but a few of our ingredients were at the top of the list in foods / herbs that aid in healing Sinusitis. If you'd like your chili to be more effective at fighting your sinuses, just add some horseradish or hotter peppers.



Sinus Busting Chili

1 onion
3 - 4 tomatoes
4 - 5 cloves of garlic
2 - 3 bell peppers
2 cans black beans
2 cans kidney beans
2 - 3 packets chili seasoning
2 lbs ground beef
 
Dice all veggies and garlic; I used my awesome kitchen Ninja to get them super fine.
 
Brown the ground beef with some a clove of garlic, a quarter of the onion, and about a half pack of seasoning. While the meat's cooking, place remaining ingredients in a large stew pot over low-medium heat. Drain beef once browned and add to pot. Allow pot to simmer of low-medium heat until chili has reduced (this can take a while... about two and a half episodes of Big Bang Theory). Enjoy with corn chips and cheese!

No comments:

Post a Comment