Thursday, October 18, 2012

Recipe: Green Tea Butter Cookies

Lately, I've been trying to cut back on spending. One great change I made was ordering the concentrated Starbucks teas online instead of going to Starbucks every morning (that's a $20/week savings!). Well, I thought I'd spice things up a bit for myself by ordering the green tea concentrate, but it turns out I'd much prefer to stick with my plain old chai.
So now I'm stuck with two boxes of green tea concentrate that I haven't a clue what to do with. But wait! What about cookies? Oh, yes. A nice creamy tea cookie, I thought. So I went in search for some yummy looking grean tea butter cookies. Unfortunately, I only found recipes that used the matcha powder or tea leaves instead of the liquid version. And since cookies are one of those things that not a lot of liquid goes into, it's hard to just substitute green tea for whatever liquid is in the recipe. I did finally stumble upon this recipe over at Cooks.com.
It was way bigger than I wanted, so I cut it down a lot. I also noticed that this recipe comes out much stickier than most cookies. And the cookies don't come out very sweet. I'm definitely going to be revisiting this recipe soon. I think I'll substitute all of the cream for green tea and add a cup of sugar - that should help both problems.



Green Tea Butter Cookies
{Ingredients}
7.2 oz butter, softened
4.96 oz sugar
1/4 cup cream
4.96 oz all-purpose flour
1.25 teaspoon salt
4.96 oz cake flour
2.5 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 tablespoons green tea concentrate

{Directions}
Cream butter and sugar together. Gradually beat in cream and vanilla. Stir dry ingredients together and add to butter mixture. Add green tea flavoring.
Chill dough for two hours.
Spoon dough onto cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
Let cool and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment