Friday, October 19, 2012

Recipe: Plantains

I know, I know. A recipe post two days in a row! But I've been out of commission for the past week due to straining my wrist while training. Damn - no knitting for me. So I've been working on my reading list while Martin's been cooking me delicious meals and snacks.

We just recently got an Aldi in town, and Martin was so excited when he saw plantains. Plantains? I asked. What are those? Martin was appalled that I'd never had the pleasure of eating a plantain, so he grabbed two and went to work on preparing this simple, delicious snack.



Traditional Cuban Plantains

{Ingredients}
1 plantain
1 tomato
salt
oil

{Directions}
 Put a thin layer of oil in a pan over medium heat. Peel and cut plantain into sections. Place sections in pan. Flip once bottoms look done.

Take plantain from pan and smoosh between two layers of parchment paper (do you notice I use this stuff for everything?).


Put squished plantain back in pan to fry until cripsy. (They looked so tasty at this stage, I almost couldn't wait to dig in.)


Slice tomato and lightly salt. Place over plantain and enjoy!


This being my first time to eat plantains, I tried a little bit at every step. They basically taste just like a little potato cake by themselves, but once you add the tomato (which I'm not usually a huge fan of) with salt, it becomes this sort of sweet delicacy that melts in your mouth. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment