Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Recipe: Super Yummy Tacos

Prepare yourself to eat the best dang tacos this side of the Mississippi!
Okay, so I don't actually know that to be fact, but my tummy sure thinks it is. These tacos have been in my family since the beginning, when I was so little that the only role I was allowed to perform in the preparations was setting the table and readying the condiments. My mom called them burracos, because they were half burrito and half taco and all delicious. I loved how the house would be in such a bussle getting everything ready for taco nights.
I remember the first time I actually got to fry the shells myself (about age 11 or so). As I flipped the shell, hot grease sloshed onto my hand. Luckily, minor grease burns can get you out of PE for a whole week! And I learned to be more careful when flipping tortillas. The only thing that's changed from then and now is the number of tacos I make in one sitting. I've learned that making them all up in one fell swoop and reheating in the toaster oven is much more appetizing than making them up as I'm ready to eat them - the shells just get so super crunchy in the toaster oven!

Reheated tacos from toaster oven. These are the last two tacos from the batch we made Saturday night.
Super Yummy Tacos
Note: These directions are set up for more than one person, so invite some friends over and get them helping! This recipe makes a total of 24 tacos. They can be refrigerated and reheated in the toaster oven at 350 for a few minutes on each side or until golden brown. And don't worry, they get eaten up fast so you won't have to keep leftovers for long.
{Ingredients}
2 cans refried beans
1 pound ground beef
1 packet taco seasoning
1 package (24count) corn tortillas
Vegetable oil
Any extra condiments you enjoy with tacos (we found some creamy havarti cheese with jalapenos in it - yum!)
{Directions}

Person 1: Brown the beef. Drain grease. Stir in both cans of beans and taco seasoning. Stir everything together then place on slightly lower than medium heat until warm, stirring occassionally.
Person 2: While the beef is browning, pour a layer of vegetable oil along the bottom of a sauce pan or skillet over medium heat. Once oil is hot (check by setting the edge of tortilla in it - if it starts to sizzle, it's ready), start frying your tortillas flat until golden brown on both sides - about 30 seconds on each side (I used my kitchen timer).
Person 1 or 3: Line casserole dish with four layers of paper towels (for soaking up any excess grease). As shells become ready, place a spoonful of filling inside and fold in half. Add any condiments that everyone agrees on here (cheese will get wonderfully melty at this stage) - if no one agrees on condiments, you can do an assortment or leave them out for everyone to do themselves.
Once the last shell gets filled, gather round the table and dig in!

No comments:

Post a Comment